Thursday, June 19, 2014

Yeah, Winter is Over


I can honestly say that my first winter in Utah was one the hardest in my life.  Learning to live on my own, paying bills, working a real (full-time+) job, working on a master’s degree and dealing with a rambunctious puppy has worn me out.  With summer officially in full swing I have had little time to fish.  Instead of screaming drag, smooth fly casts and precious time with loved ones I am stuck basking in the desert sun of Wyoming. 


But, I do make it home on the weekends occasionally.  When I do the family hits the water with short notice.  

The water was ice cold as it trickled between our toes.  Eventually, we became numb to the cold and even began to enjoy the crystal clear snowmelt.  It sweetened the experience to lay into several small rainbows and cutthroats on dry flies. 


Savannah enjoyed it.


These fish fight well on a three weight fly rod.  In years past I have turned up my nose to fishing such small flows and catching such small specimens.  I guess I have to eat my words, because these places hold a special place in my heart nowadays. 



I also had a chance to get out on some flat water and put the smack down on a couple crappie.  They taste good.  



I was taken back at just how black these fish were.  I have caught many back in Virginia but none that were colored quite like these.  The pics above have no filter or editing applied—salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning likely. 





No comments:

Post a Comment